Kids Company Bristol
Kids Company Bristol
Kids Company has begun providing services in Bristol, our first replication of our model of youth work outside of Greater London. Bristol City Council has invited us to fulfil the Alternative Education Provision for the Local Authority. Separately, Bristol academies have approached us to replicate our London schools programme at their sites.
The Island is a replication of the Arches and we support two hundred young people from here. The Island is a multi-disciplinary centre in the Centre of Bristol, through which Kids Company supports children and young people aged between 0 and 23. The centre provides a comprehensive package of care to exceptionally vulnerable young people, most of whom refer themselves or are referred by their peers. The services provided at the centre are assessed, designed and delivered according to the individual service user.
The key services we provide
- Support and advice through social work, psychotherapy, counselling, employment advice, housing advice, youth offending programmes, drug prevention advice and sexual health advice
- Practical support through necessary provisions, a needs-tested living allowance and three nutritional meals a day
- Support in accessing, negotiating and maintaining relationships with other statutory and voluntary sector service providers (e.g. GP registration, optician, sexual health and mental health)
- Leisure activities, day trips and educational support
- Alternative and emotional therapy
South Woods and Tree Tops – (Alternative Education under Sixteen)
The aim of Tree Tops and South Wood are to provide children with an experience of sustained care which helps repair their sense of abandonment and enables them to work through the trauma many have experienced through physical and sexual abuse. These are the children that local authorities struggle to manage, because their behaviour is so disturbed and their needs so complex. We Support 45 young people in these two centres at present in full time education
- The centers are designed to meet the needs of children and young people at Key Stage 2, 3 and 4 who are:
- Permanently excluded from school; or
- Excluded from school on a fixed‐term basis; or
- At risk of disengaging from mainstream education and/or being excluded from school; or
- Require additional support during a negotiated transfer between mainstream schools; or
- Otherwise require alternative education provision to meet their educational entitlement, for instance in line with a Statement of Special Educational Needs or is a Child in Care.
The Schools programme
We have received a very warm welcome from the schools in Bristol and have now established our schools model in two academies and hope to extend this to a further six by September next year. The team in each school is lead by a Kids Company Team Leader who with the help of placement students volunteers and mentors is supporting the young people who are at risk of exclusion due to their exceptionally difficult life circumstances.
Map of Kids Company provisions